Getting rid of raccoons is a daunting task. It takes an integrated approach; you should apply different methods in order to effectively remove raccoons and keep them away from your property. Here is the step-by-step guide to help you get rid of raccoons:
Remove Food and Water
Raccoons are always in search of food and shelter. And they take up residence in residential establishments. It is vital to make your yard less inviting by preventing all the sources of food that might attract them.
- Remove trash and keep the garbage bins sealed.
- Clean up fallen berries, nuts, fruits, birdseed, etc.
- Don’t keep leftover food, drinks and pet food outside.
Identify Areas of Damage
It is vital to determine the locations where the raccoons like to spend most of their time. This way you will be able to control them and minimize the damage.
- invade the attic
- eat the crops
- steal fish from pond
- hide beneath the porch
- look for food in trash cans
- attack your bird feed
Choose the Right Control Method
Once you are aware of the fact that there is a raccoon in your house. The next step should be looking for the best control method. Raccoons can even cause you injury. So, it is important to make your layers of defense against it. Effective methods can help in keeping them away from your property.
- Live Raccoon Trap
Using a live trap is a great idea to manually remove a raccoon living inside your home. Install a large sized trap to trap the animal. Animal traps are easy to use:
- Make sure you wear the gloves and trap is properly placed.
- Bait your trap so that the raccoon enters the trap and get trapped.
- After setting the trap, check it frequently. Don’t allow a raccoon to remain inside the cage for a longer period.
- Raccoon Repellents
There are a variety of repellents available in the market. You can use them to keep the raccoons away from the home and valuables.
- Sprinkle the repellents to create a barrier.
- Spray the repellents around the trashcans and bird feeders.
- For effective defense, make sure you implement multiple raccoon control products.
- It is advisable to wash the trash bins to eliminate the chances of raccoons getting attracted towards it.
- Leaving food and water around can attract wildlife. So, always keep your home and its surrounding areas clean and spotless.
- Before operating a live trap, have a clear idea about your local trapping and relocating laws.
Hope the above tips will help you get rid of raccoons safely and efficiently. If you are looking for professional help, you can rely on our professionals at Niagara Wildlife.